Monday, December 12, 2011

Stand outs!

I play the piano with a lot of expression. Translated--I look dumb when I play the piano. This problem manifested early on, in the ninth grade, when I played piano for our high school choirs. One day, the girls choir seemed in especially good spirits, laughing and smiling. Afterward, my friend told me I was the reason for their good humor. I had been swaying back and forth on the piano in movement with the languid song! As if I needed another reason in ninth grade for social crisis!

Allen and I were watching a concert on the Bible channel of some fantastic violin players who look dumb when they play. I explained to him my theory that you can never play an instrument well without looking dumb. To prove my point, I am learning to play violin. I play it very poorly  and I look completely normal with no expression whatsoever or funny body posture except I have a pained look on my face, which coincidentally, everyone else also has when I play violin.

In my need to make everything Bibley, I compared my theory to being a Christian--how if you don't look goofy to others, to the "world" or whatever, you aren't doing it very well. One of my favorite verses right now: "And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not."

1 comment:

  1. I just finished your book. Thank you, I really was inspired. Enjoyed your blogs as well. I was looking for a recent update on your family. I will pray all is well.

    ReplyDelete